Popular TV Shows Based On Real-Life Crimes
Most times, there is more intrigue, suspense, story depth, and fascination in the real than in fiction. A host of TV shows that have been a product of real-life events prove this.
Even though crime TV shows are based on crimes committed in real-life situations, knowing that those events happened to actual people can boost viewers’ connection to the story.
For instance, the new TV series from Apple TV+, “Home Before Dark,” is a drama bordering around the real-life story of Hilde Lysiak. Hilde Lysiak is a Brooklyn-born 9-year-old journalist. She moved to a remote town where she discovers and unravels crimes hidden by everyone, including her father. We would not be dropping spoilers here. Catch the rest of it on your screens as it premieres on the 3rd of April.
We have, however, created our extended list of other TV shows aside this with plots inspired by crimes committed in real life.
When They See Us
This series is a tale around the gruesome experience from the 19th of April, 1989. It is based on the sad story of 5 young lads who stood trial for sexual assault. These lads were known as the Central Park Five as they stood trial for alleged sexual assault on a female who came jogging at Central Park. They maintained their innocence throughout the movie.
- The Act based on the story of Gypsy Blanchard in the hands of her abusive mother
- American Horror Story, which borders on real-life murders
- Narcos based on Pablo Escobar’s life
- Mindhunter based on J.E Douglas’ experience as an FBI agent
- “11.22.63” based on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
- Scandal based on the life of Judy Smith
- Unbelievable based on the strings of the rape case in Washington between 2008 and 2011